Keep Your Identity Safe and Secure
Identity thieves have more access than ever to your personal information. They will go through your trash and pretend to work for big companies and call or e-mail you to retrieve your personal information.
Here are some ways to protect yourself.
- You are entitled to receive 3 free credit reports a year, 1 from each of the credit reporting companies.
- Request one every four months to keep yourself up to date on what is being reported about you.
- Use www.annualcreditreport.com to access all 3 credit reporting companies in one place.
2. Do Not Share Personal Information
- Avoid callers who pretend to be someone else to gain information from you.
- Unless you initiate a phone call, e-mail or web submission, do not give out your information.
- Garden State FCU will not call or e-mail you to ask for your personal information.
3. Keep Personal Items in a Safe Place
- Store Social Security cards, birth certificates and other important paperwork in a lock-box.
- Statements, bills and credit card offers should be shredded or stored safely to ensure your account numbers aren’t stolen from the paperwork.