Tips to Avoid the Rise in Violent ATM Robberies
Robberies at ATMs across the country are on the rise. Unfortunately, they are becoming more violent and often involve weapons, resulting in injuries and fatalities. Here are some important tips to follow when you use any ATM:
- When an ATM is hidden from public view or poorly lit, go to another ATM.
- Avoid using ATMs at night or take a companion with you if necessary.
- Minimize the time you spend at an ATM by having your card ready to use and by completing any deposit slip in advance.
- Park as close as possible to the ATM walk-up.
- Keep your engine running, doors locked and the windows up at all times when waiting in line at a drive-ATM. If possible, leave room between cars to make a quick exit if necessary.
- When you have completed your transaction, leave the ATM as quickly as possible.
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious when conducting a transaction, cancel it and leave immediately.
- If anyone follows you after making an ATM transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well lit area and call the police.
- Protect your PIN and the privacy of your transaction by shielding the keypad while standing close to the ATM to prevent others behind you from observing your transaction details.
- Always check your ATM receipts against your statements to catch any unauthorized transactions.
- Immediately report a lost or stolen ATM card.
If you don’t have a credit union Visa Check/ATM Card, apply today. All you need is a Garden State Checking Account.